Those of you who follow our Instagram account may have seen that I recently purchased a book from a used bookstore and found a kitten bookmark inside. Those of you who avidly follow our blog also know that I work in a public library. Finding that kitty bookmark made me think of all the strange things that I have found inside / near books during my public library work. Some of them are disgusting but all of them make me laugh, so I thought that I would share some of them with you in honor of last night's full moon and today's date of Friday the 13th.
1) A green condom on a children’s book whose cover featured a pickle – I kid you not. The co-worker who found this thought it was a balloon, to which I yelled, “Don’t touch it!”
2) A Q-tip – A woman handed me this book with a Q-tip taped to the outside.
When I pointed it out to her, she laughed and said “HAHAHA That’s my Q-tip!”
3) Two pieces of white bread, both individually bagged and found in the outside book drop.
4) A sanitary panty liner – Sticker still intact! (Thank God)
5) Blueberries – These were scattered in the graphic novels, but a bag of raw chicken / blueberries was found upstairs later that evening.
6) A dental pick for between your teeth – Yes, I made the “Please don’t leave dental hygiene products in books” phone call.
And there have been many, many more.
|Kitten bookmark found inside my book.|
|When this library book was opened, tons of dried leaves fell out.|